New Arrangement for Dependent Pass Holders Will Start on May This Year
The Ministry of Manpower (MOM) recently announced that those who hold a Dependent Pass would have to have to start applying for a Work Pass to continue working in Singapore soon. Previously, spouses or family members of foreign workers only needed to acquire a Letter of Consent (LOC) to be legally employed in Singapore. The stringent change was introduced to hold all dependent workers at the same standard of employment applied to the country’s foreign workers.
What Does the Ministry Say?
The Ministry stated that those employed on a LOC basis and their respective employers or companies would be given ample time for the transition. There will be two outcomes from the transition arrangement:
- Those with Dependent Pass who qualify will be given Work Passes and can continue to be employed.
- Those with Dependent Pass but who do not qualify for Work Passes will have to cease working by May 1st 2021.
Apart from that, existing holders can continue their current employment arrangement until their LOC is expired. Employers of Dependent Pass holders will have to apply for Work Passes on behalf of their employees.
The transition of standardizing foreign employees to work under a work pass was introduced to administer workplace consistency. In the last year’s Unity Budget 2020, the Government decided to increase salary requirements across Employment Pass and S-Pass holders. Those who have Employment Pass will raise up to S$4,500, whereas those in financial sectors are eligible to have an increment up to S$5,000. Aside from that, other qualifying workers will receive a raise in their salaries as well.
How Do I Apply for a Dependent’s Pass?
Here are several documents you will need to apply for a work pass:
- A copy of the candidate’s passport.
- Children who share a passport with their parents will have to submit the parent’s information as well.
Depending on the family member or spouse, there may be additional documents required for the application. See here for more information on Work Pass for Dependent Pass holders.
As for Dependent Pass Holders Who Run Businesses
Dependent Pass holders with businesses in Singapore who cultivate local employments are exempted from the transition. This means that they can still continue to work with a Letter of Consent legally. However, this only applies if the said businesses fulfil these criteria:
- The Dependent Pass holder is either a sole proprietor, partner or company director who owns at least 30% of the business shares.
- The business hires a minimum of one Singaporean or a permanent resident who earns a prevailing local salary of at least S$1,500 and is entitled to receive Central Provident Fund (CPF) for three months.
Dependent Pass business owners can run their operations until the LOC expires. Business owners can also apply for a one-off extension until April 30th 2022, next year.
Make the Switch
The employees of the Dependent Pass holders make a small percentage of the total work pass holders. More details on the arrangement will be released soon. To learn more on the Work Pass, click here.