This post is also available in: 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))
Singapore PR Schemes – Assist Foreigners Set Up Home in Singapore
Being a Singapore Permanent Resident (PR) is something that is desired by thousands around the world. Singapore has a range of Singapore PR schemes to assist foreigners from a range of backgrounds to come and set up a home in the country. However, not all applicants will undergo the same Singapore PR process. Eligible applicants include individuals, their spouse and their unmarried children under the age of 21.
As of June 2017, an approximate number of 526,600 is the number of Singapore PRs who now call the island state their home, joining the population of 5.6 million people. The numbers continue to increase annually. While most foreigners lodge their Singapore PR application after working here for several years, there are other Singapore PR scheme pathways that a foreigner could rely on.
Singapore PR Scheme Options for Those Working in Singapore
As a Singapore PR, you get to enjoy almost all the rights and Singapore PR benefits that the citizens would. This includes the right to live and work in Singapore without any visa restrictions, and a higher priority given to public schooling for children.
For those who are already working in Singapore, one Singapore PR scheme option available would be the Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Worker Scheme (PTS Scheme). This scheme is the easiest route to attaining a PR status in Singapore, especially for those who want assurance.
The requirements to meet the eligibility criteria for the PTS scheme include:
- Be working in Singapore at the time of application
- A minimum of 6 months’ payslip
- Must be working in Singapore at least 6 months before application
Singapore PR Scheme Options for Investors
The Global Investor Programme (GIP Scheme) is one option for investors to consider as a pathway to Singapore PR. This Singapore PR Scheme allows you to apply for a PR for you and your immediate family members if you are willing to start a business in Singapore.
This business must have a minimum investment of S$2.5 million. Alternatively, you may invest in a similar sum in an established Singapore business. The GIP Scheme presents investors with two options:
- Option 1: Invest a minimum of $2.5 million in a new business start-up. Alternatively, you may expand on an existing business operation.
- Option 2: Invest a minimum of $2.5 million in a GIP-scheme approved fund.
You will need proof of a good business track record and have an entrepreneurial background. You must also provide proof of an investment plan, or a business proposal to be eligible for this Singapore PR scheme.
Singapore PR Scheme for Those with Artistic Talent
Singapore is home to a diverse range of individuals. Many sectors have developed and grown over the years, including Singapore’s art scene. In line with its ambition to become a recognised regional arts hub, the Singapore PR Scheme available to those with artistic talent is the Foreign Artistic Talent Scheme.
Eligibility criteria for this scheme includes:
- Be a well-recognised artist within your home country (international reputation preferable).
- Must have relevant training in your area or field of practice.
- Made significant contributions to the local arts and culture scene in Singapore
- Must have concrete plans of becoming deeply involved in the local arts and culture sector in Singapore.