This post is also available in: 简体中文 (Chinese (Simplified))
APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Application
Package Fee for APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Application
|Packages Available||Fee (SGD)|
|APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) application||$800 (W/GST $864)|
|APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) renewal||$500 (W/GST $540)|
An APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) is a system which facilitates the movement of business travelers between APEC’s economic members.
With the APEC Business Travel Card, you will enjoy the benefit of visa-free entry and expedited immigration clearance. It also acts as a multiple journey visa.
APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) members can have their immigration clearance expedited with the designated APEC Business Travel Card lanes in place. If you are a Singapore citizen looking to apply for an APEC Business Travel Card, this guide is for you.
Designated APEC Business Travel Card lanes can be found in the following participating APEC countries:
- Brunei Darussalam
- Chinese Taipei
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- People’s Republic of China
- Republic of Korea
- The Philippines
The Russian Federation, United States (US) and Canada are economies which are transitional within the APEC Business Travel Card system. Therefore, those who are travelling to these three countries will be subjected to the regular immigration clearance process. However, those with the ABTC can still “fast track” their immigration clearance using the lanes which are currently only for designated airline crew members at major international airports.
In Canada, these airports include:
- Calgary International Airport
- Edmonton International Airport
- Halifax Stanfield International Airport
- Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport
- Ottawa Macdonald–Cartier International Airport
- Toronto Pearson International Airport (Terminals 1 and 2)
- Vancouver International Airport
- Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport.
Who Is Eligible for the APEC Business Travel Card?
Singapore citizens holding a valid Singapore passport are eligible to apply for the ABTC. Any change of passport or a renewal request will be considered a new application. It is important to note that travelers will still require a valid passport to travel, as the ABTC is not a replacement document.
Singaporeans who intend to apply for the APEC Business Travel Card must fulfill the following conditions:
- Be a legitimate business person who is representing a business entity that is economically active.
- Be a public officer who is representing either a ministry, economic agency, government department or statutory board. This person must also be travelling in official capacity.
- Be a member of a professional body. Examples of this include accountant, doctor or lawyer.
- Must not have any prior criminal conviction records.
What Are the Benefits of Holding an APEC Business Travel Card?
The ABTC scheme was designed to streamline entry into APEC economies for those who travel frequently for business. By streamlining the process, ABTC holders will be able to cut through the red tape and be granted pre-cleared entry into the participating member economies.
Other benefits of being an ABTC holder include:
- Flexibility to explore new business ventures and opportunities
- Speedy entry through special APEC lanes at participating major international airports.
- Multiple short-term entry with a stay period of 60-90 days per trip.
- Visa-free entry
What Documents Are Required for an APEC Business Travel Card Application?
Those who intend to apply for an ABTC must provide the following documentation when applying through the e-Service:
- A valid Singapore passport
- A recent passport-sized digital colour photograph (must be taken within the last 3-months).
- A scanned signature image file measuring 250 x 220 pixels and no more than 60 Kbytes.
- A scanned copy of the letter of authorization from the organisation with less than 1MB in size. If your supporting letter documentation is self-signed, you must provide a scanned copy of your ACRA Business Profile.
- A scanned copy of your company’s overseas business registration certificate if you intend to apply as part of an overseas company. Documents must be in either English, Malay, Mandarin or Tamil.
What Are the Fees and Procedures Involved in the APEC Business Travel Card Application?
ABTC applications must be made online via the e-Service system. Applications must be accompanied by a non-refundable S$100 fee which is payable.
Payments for the APEC Business Travel card can be made through the following options:
- Visa credit or debit card
- MasterCard credit or debit card
- American Express (AMEX) credit card
- Direct Debit via Internet (OCBC, UOB, Standard Chartered, Citibank or DBS/POSB internet banking accounts)
What Is the Timeline for the APEC Business Travel Card Process?
ABTC applications will be processed within three months. It may take longer in some cases due to the pre-clearance from all the ABTC-participating economies (this could take up to a year).
ABTC has an interim card which will allow you to choose at least five economies of priority for pre-clearance assessment. Once the interim card has been issued when pre-clearance has been granted by the chosen economies.
Interim ABTC cards can still be used while awaiting the final pre-clearance process. During this wait process, you must still apply for a separate visa should you need to travel, even if you hold an interim ABTC.
To track the status of your pre-clearance process, you may log onto the APEC website. It is important to note that all pre-clearance assessments are individually processed by their respective economies. Therefore, these assessments will be subject to the respective immigration processes.
Once granted, your ABTC will be valid for up to five years, or for as long as your passport is valid (depending on which is shorter). If your ABTC application is successful, the outcome will be delivered to you via registered post. Self-collection options are not available.
Factors to Consider When Holding an APEC Business Travel Card
If your card is lost or stolen, you must report it immediately and lodge a replacement request through the e-Service system. This is to prevent any possible abuse of your card from occurring.
There will be a charge of S$50 required to replace your card. The replacement card will have the same expiration date as your original card.