Singapore Representative Office Setup Services in Singapore
A foreign company that is interested in exploring the viability and potential opportunities in Singapore and the region, may set up a Representative Office (“RO”) before committing any large scale investments. Unlike a subsidiary or a branch office, a Singapore RO is viewed only as a liaison office and as such has no legal status. It cannot conduct any business activities of profit yielding nature. For most sectors, RO approval process is a straightforward process assuming the foreign company is an established entity and the scope of planned activities falls within the scope of a RO. A RO has the benefit of allowing a foreign entity to assess the business environment in Singapore before deciding to set up a permanent establishment.
Singapore has established itself as a reputable financial and regional trading centre. It is the world’s busiest port and a top location for investments in the Asia Pacific region.
Factors such as strategic location, a competitive workforce, pro-business environment and forward looking economic policies have enabled Singapore to be the world’s gateway to Asia.
With effect from 1 January 2012, a RO of foreign commercial entity may operate in Singapore for a maximum of three (3) years from its commencement date, provided that the RO status is evaluated and renewed. ROs which decide to continue their presence in Singapore thereafter should register their operations with the Accounting & Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) of Singapore.
If you run a foreign company and wish to set up Singapore operations, you have three options:
In this page, we are going to explain how to set up a Representative Office in Singapore. Note that most small and midsized foreign companies register subsidiaries in Singapore rather than setting up a branch office or representative office. To explore your other options, see foreign company setup options in Singapore.
Package Fees for Singapore Representative Office Registration (Singapore dollars)
In a rush?
- You can set up your RO today! The price is $1,100 (W/GST $1,177), and you don’t even have to visit our office in Singapore!
- We can apply for an employment pass for the chief representative staff member from the head office who will relocate to Singapore at $1,000 (W/GST $1,070) only.
Your time is important and you probably are chomping at the bit to get your RO registered in Singapore. Your choice of 3E Accounting is perfect, because we are FAST. You will be impressed at how our friendly, efficient crew responds to your every need. We are big enough to know all the right moves and small enough to react nimbly to all requests. We won’t let you get bogged down in red tape. You can trust 3E Accounting to speed up the process for you. We offer the best package of services available in Singapore. Check this out:
– Payment of government fee
– Payment of professional fees for the incorporating representative office
– Preparation of necessary documents
– FREE bank introduction and account opening services in Singapore
– FREE advisory on compliance requirements
– FREE registration consulting services
Requirements to set up a Representative Office in Singapore
Kindly be reminded that the application is subject to approval by the authorities. Assuming that your overseas company is an established company and your intended activities fall within the scope of activities allowed for a RO, there shouldn’t be any problems with the approval process.
The foreign parent company that wishes to set up a RO in Singapore must fulfill the following criteria:
– The foreign parent company must have a sales turnover in excess of US$250,000;
– The foreign parent company must have been established for three years or more; and
– The representative office of the foreign parent company must adhere to the maximum headcount of five employees as stipulated by the authorities
A RO may engage a small number of local employees as support staff but must appoint a chief representative staff member from the head office who will relocate to Singapore and oversee its activities. Since a RO cannot be involved in commercial activities, the staff strength should be reasonable and be kept to the essential minimum. The authorities have stipulated that a RO can hire only up-to a maximum of five employees.
You’ll need to provide the following information to email@example.com to set up your Singapore representative office:
– Complete application form
– Name of the Singapore RO shall be the same as that of the parent company. In case where the name coincides with an already existing local company, the authorities will make a decision based on a case-by-case basis.
– Passport and proof of residential address of chief representative staff
– A certified true copy of the document containing the parent company’s particulars (i.e. Date and Place of Incorporation, Registered Address, List of Directors and Shareholders and their details, Authorized and Paid Up Share Capital of the parent company)
– Copy (in English or an official English translation) of the foreign entity’s Certificate of Incorporation or Registration Certificate (as applicable).
– Copy of the parent company’s latest annual report and audited accounts. In case if the annual report and audited accounts are not available (for example when the parent company is relatively new), you can self-declare the needed information and provide other supporting details such as company brochures, contracts, website, etc. in support of your application. All documents must be in English otherwise an official English translation of the documents must be submitted.
– For China parent company, other than the latest Audited Accounts and Certification of Incorporation, the company has to provide a copy of the tax registration (财务登记) document with the local tax Bureaus (税务所 / 税务局). This can be issued by the Provincial, Municipal or County Bureaus.
– Duly endorsed undertaking to abide by the Terms and Conditions governing the representative offices in Singapore
Additional Information required for clients Who Engaged an Agent to act on their behalf
- Agent’s contact information (name, telephone, email, etc.)
- Agent’s Copy of passport, proof of foreign residential address and national identity card, if any
- Agent’s copy of the registration documents containing the Certificate of Incorporation, and Certificate of Incumbency or equivalent document (Click Certificate of Incumbency to download the sample), if any
- Copy of the Authorization letter that the customer has appointed the agent to act on his behalf
STEPS TO SET UP REPRESENTATIVE OFFICE
Steps to set up via Email
1. Email the information listed above to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. We will check the completeness of your documents and get back to you within 24 hours.
3. Once we received the information and confirmed that the information is complete, we will email you our invoice for payment.
4. Upon receipt of payment from you, we will then email you all the documents requiring signatures.
5. Upon receipt of the completed signed form, supporting documents from you, we will file the representative office registration application with the Authorities. The application is subject to review and approval by the Authorities. We will liaise between you and the Authorities if any clarifications are sought by the Authorities.
6. Once the representative office application is approved, we will work with you to prepare the Employment Pass (“EP”) application and supporting documents. Once ready, we will then file the EP application along with the supporting documents.
7. In case your EP application is rejected, we will explore the reasons with the Authorities and then prepare and file unlimited appeal (at no extra cost) accordingly.
8. Upon receipt of the EP approval letter, you will be required to visit Singapore to collect your pass. We will assist you in scheduling an appointment with the Authorities for issuance of the pass.
9. After you have collected your EP, you are ready to relocate to Singapore and start work for the RO.
Should you have any questions about Singapore registration of a RO, please email us at email@example.com and we will promptly reply within 24 hours.