This post is also available in: English (英语)
Guide to Starting a Spa Business in Singapore
When it comes to starting a business in a thriving Asian hub, there is no place quite like Singapore. Singapore is an attractive, vibrant country in Asia which draws thousands of tourists towards its shores every year. Food, shopping, tourism, travel are all part of what make Singapore such an attractive destination.
A spa business in Singapore is similar to that of a massage establishment, and the criteria to starting your spa business in Singapore will not be much different. Starting a spa business is a good idea because of the rising demand to meet the needs of both locals and tourists. This has made the country’s spa business industry a booming one, and if you’re thinking about tapping into that market, there’s no better time to do it.
Did you know that the spa industry is an important part of Singapore’s health and wellness sector? The industry is reportedly valued at $140 million a year! And it shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon. It is also one of the only few industries that has been able to successfully remain resilient despite the economic crisis.
If you are looking for a guide to starting a spa business in Singapore, the information below will provide you with the essential information on the licenses and permits which you will need to get started.
What Licenses Do I Need to Start a Spa Business in Singapore?
Because the spa industry is similar to setting up a massage establishment, the criteria for setting up a spa business in Singapore falls along the same lines. You would first need to have you spa business incorporated. Once that is done, the next important step is to have all your licensing permits and documentation sorted out. This enables you to legally operate the spa business.
If you have not incorporated your company, you may register your company online with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) of Singapore, or enlist the help of company registration specialists who will be able to assist you throughout the entire process.
For your massage establishment business in Singapore, under the Massage
Establishment Act Singapore (a spa business still falls under the massage establishment category), there will be two types of permits you can apply for:
- Category 1 License – This permit will allow you to operate within residential areas, including neighbourhoods, hotels or commercial centers.
- Category 2 License – This permit will allow you to operate in non-residential areas.
The permits and licenses for a spa establishment businesses in Singapore will be
granted for the activities below:
- Establishments offering foot reflexology services
- Establishments offering massage services
- Establishments offering manicure and pedicure services
- Establishments offering spa services
Those who intend to apply for a permit to start a spa business in Singapore must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Must not have a prior criminal record
- Be at least 21-years of age
- Hold a Singapore Employment Pass if you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Singapore
Investors who intend to apply for a license for their spa business in Singapore must adhere to the following conditions:
- The business must provide staff uniforms for all who are working at the establishment
- The business must have the minimum SGD 550,000 in capital which will be utilized for investment purposes
- The premise must be a minimum of 100 square metres at least
- The business must have a Case Trust Accreditation for Spa and wellness
If you are incorporating your company through the assistance of company formation specialist agents, they will assist you with the permit and license application as they have a vast experience in doing so for several types of business industries and will be familiar with what the local laws and legislation requirements are. The average processing time license applications in Singapore is 12 working days.
Any employee – or at least 80% of your employees – who is working in the business must have at least one of the following accreditations:
- CIDESCO Beauty certification
- CIBTAC Beauty Therapy Services certification
- CIBTAC Spa Therapy certification
- ITEC Beauty Specialist certification
- ITC Holistic Massage certification
How to Incorporate Your Spa Business in Singapore
In Singapore, company incorporations are a statutory requirement. Your spa business in Singapore must be incorporated and registered with ACRA before you can commence business operations.
Incorporating a company in Singapore is a quick and efficient process. You can either log onto the online portal run by the Singapore government known as www.bizfile.gov.sg, or you may engage the services of a professional firm like 3EAccounting who come with years of experience to handle the process for you on your behalf.
Your company must be registered with the Accounting and Corporate RegulatoryAuthority (ACRA) Singapore. Once your company name has been approved, you will
then begin the process by submitting the following documents for your incorporation
- The name of your company
- A description of your business activities
- The details of the directors and shareholders of the company
- The intended registered address (no P.O. Boxes are allowed)
- The details of your Company Secretary
- The Memorandum and Articles of Association for your company
- Choose the intended business structure of your company
What Happens Now?
When you’ve completed the measures above, ACRA will generally provide you with an outcome with 3 working days from the date of your application. Processing times could be longer if there are issues with your application. Once successfully registered, you will be issued with a Unique Entity Number (UEN) which identifies your business entity. UEN’s are also used to transact with the government. You will then be able to start running and operating your spa business in Singapore.
3E Accounting’s company formation experts are equipped with years of experience and industry knowledge, ready to guide you through the process of setting up the business if you have always dreamed of having. If you would like to set up an agricultural business in Singapore, contact us today for more information on how to get started.