Guide to Starting a Maid Agency Business in Singapore
If you’re looking to start a business in Singapore which requires a minimal investment amount, a maid agency business could be the best available option for you. With a capital of $5,000 to $7,000 you will be able to start a maid agency business in Singapore once you’ve incorporated your company and got your licensing requirements sorted out too.
A maid agency business would work similar to that of an employment agency, except instead of helping people look for jobs, you will be helping people with their household cleaning and chores and sending the right maids and cleaners to their premises. With the hectic, on-to-go life that many Singaporeans are leading today, there simply isn’t enough time to get everything done. When you need a little help cleaning your home, who better to call than a reputable and established maid agency?
If you’re looking for a comprehensive guide to starting a maid agency business in Singapore, you’ve come to the right place.
What Kind of Licenses Do I Need to Start a Maid Agency Business?
You will need to apply for the Employment Agency License before you can commence your business operations. Any agency that is performing recruitment-like services will need to apply for this type of license, as it is the most basic requirement. You may apply for this license through the Ministry of Manpower Singapore.
With the Employment Agency License, you will be authorized to offer employment and facilitate the needs of others who may require your services (like a maid agency). All organizations and individuals who will be involved in any employment related activities – including maid agencies – will be eligible to apply for this license. You must apply for this license regardless of whether or not you’re dealing with local or overseas jobs.
To be eligible to apply for the Employment Agency License, you will need to meet the following criteria as outlined by the Ministry of Manpower:
- You must be a Singaporean citizen or Permanent Resident at the time of your application.
- You must not be declared bankrupt.
- You must not have had any previous criminal convictions.
- You must not have been a director or involved in the management of a previous employment agency who has had their license revoked.
- Hold one of the following positions in your organisation, as registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA):
- Owner (for sole-proprietorship and partnership)
- Managing director and director (for company)
- Partner (for limited liability partnership)
- General partner (for limited partnership)
- You must also have one of the following principle activities:
- Executive Search Agencies
- Employment Agencies (excluding maid agencies)
- Maid Agencies
What Activities Constitute to “Employment Agency”?
There can be some confusion as to why you would need to apply for the Employment Agency License when you intend to offer maid services. An employment agency is one which involves the following activities:
- Communicates with others regarding job applications for prospective candidates
- Making placement of prospective candidates a more simplified process for employers
- Puts forth the applications for Singapore work visas on behalf of the candidates or employers to the respective authorities.
- Collects resumes for those who need a job
- A company that helps other companies with their recruitment and staffing requirements
If your maid agency business is not going to be actively involved in placing maids with employers who need it, then you do not need to apply for this license. An example of cases where you would be exempted from needing this license is if your business is involved in the following:
- Conducting ad-hoc, informal or casual job referrals
- Online job portals and job bulletin boards
- Agencies or centers that match clients with tuition teachers
- Courier services which are used in job placement or recruitment activities
How to Start Your Maid Agency Business in Singapore
Incorporating a company in Singapore is a quick and efficient process. You can either log onto the online portal run by the Singapore government known as www.bizfile.gov.sg, or you may engage the services of a professional firm like 3EAccounting who come with years of experience to handle the process for you on your behalf.
It is important to note that your maid agency business must have a business office for its business activities. Singapore has a wide selection of office spaces which you can choose from, based on the needs of your agency. You will be required to get approval from the Urban Land Redevelopment Authority of Singapore before you determine a space. You will also require prior approval from the Building and Construction Authority if you wish to make renovations, additions or alterations to the office space you intend to use.
Your company must be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) Singapore. Once your company name has been approved, you will
then begin the process by submitting the following documents for your incorporation
- The name of your company
- A description of your business activities
- The details of the directors and shareholders of the company
- The intended registered address (no P.O. Boxes are allowed)
- The details of your Company Secretary
- The Memorandum and Articles of Association for your company
- Choose the intended business structure of your company
What Happens Next?
When you’ve completed the measures above, ACRA will generally provide you with an outcome with 3 working days from the date of your application. Processing times could be longer if there are issues with your application. Once successfully registered, you will be issued with a Unique Entity Number (UEN) which identifies your business entity. UEN’s are also used to transact with the government.
You will then be able to start running and operating your maid agency business in Singapore. 3E Accounting’s company formation experts are equipped with years of experience and industry knowledge, ready to guide you through the process of setting up the business if you have always dreamed of having. If you would like to set up a maid agency l business in Singapore, contact us today for more information on how to get started.